The Turtle Takes Off on August 6th, 2011

The Turtle, my 1981 Toyota Sunrader Mini Motorhome, will be taking me on an almost 8,000 mile journey to Glacier National Park and beyond. Wish us luck and tailwinds!

Saturday, September 20, 2014

One Amazing Turtle










 

The Turtle moves me. What can I say? To so many places I would never be able to see without her. To a strength I never knew I had. Her heart is small but powerful. A mere 4 cylinder putt putt engine pulling such a top-heavy load. The Turtle should be showing up at antique car shows.Instead she is chugging up mountains like The Little Engine That Could. Both of us chanting, I think we can. I think we can. And we have. Across the United States and parts of Canada and in every direction for the past 4 years. Anything more we are blessed with at this point in our journey, would be like double frosting on a triple layered wedding cake, and I would proudly place The Turtle on top of that confection in a heartbeat.
How can one leave home and never have left home at the same time? That is what it feels like when I am camping in The Turtle. I am the driver, but many times it feels like I have been transported to my camping spot by something else. I wake up in the morning to see a new scene as if I were on a train in the sleeping car or on a cruise ship sailing between exotic islands while I slumbered.
 At other times, I am working hard to keep things ship- shape in, out, around and on top of The Turtle.
I am the chief cook and bottle washer. The mechanic. The map reader. I keep the fires burning and the tanks full. I cross my fingers a lot and my toes and whatever else needs crossing to keep her on the road.
She has taught me to stay in the moment, to let go at every turn, and to trust myself.

I thought I paid for The Turtle, but it turns out she was a gift from the Universe. I thought I was the sole owner, but I am sure my friends and family own a share. I know this because they treat us as if we were their own with loving care when we arrive out of nowhere at their doorstep.

No comments: